- Atlantic Paddle Symposium 2011 May 20-23 Terra Nova, Newfoundland
P & H’s new Delphin sea kayak dominated rock hopping sessions at the recent Atlantic Paddling Symposium.
Matt Nelson and Christopher Lockyer Team P&H paddling Delphins, were two of 28 world-class coaches to lead 155 paddlers at the three-day event, held from May 20 to 23, 2011 near Terra Nova, Newfoundland.
Launching from Salvage Bay, nearly 60 sea kayakers took part in rock hopping sessions during the event, held May 20 to 23, 2011.
Other highlights of the fourth annual event, which featured sessions for canoeists and white water kayakers, included:
- Mark Scriver teaching solo canoe sessions in white water and then hitting the sea to help run a rock hopping session
- Canoe Poling with Kevin Silliker, the master of the pole
- Mark Scriver leading solo canoe session on white water
- Maligiaq Paddilla, world Greenland rolling champion, teaching Greenland rolling and paddling techniques
- Brenna Kelly leading paddlers down some of the most challenging white water Newfoundland has to offer
- Christopher Lockyer leading two dynamic rock hopping sessions, one in 20 knot winds and 3-meter swells
- Kevin Callan sharing tips and tricks about enjoying the outdoors
- Loads of stokes and skill development sessions
- And Matt Nelson working with students on incident management
The always entertaining Kevin Callan gave a great presentation on
why we go on canoe trips, and Maligiaq Paddilla showed some great videos from Greenland.
In addition to P&H, other sponsors included Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador, Canoe Kayak Nova Scotia, Canoe Kayak New Brunswick, Thumblehome Recreational canoe club, Paddle Canada, and Simply for Life.
The volunteers and coaches included Matthew Nelson, Craig Burden, Alan Stanley, Birgit Kuhle, Blair Doyle, Brenna Kelly, Craig Moores, Corey Locke, David Johnston, Graham Ketcheson, Jim Price, Kevin Callan, Kevin Redmond, Kevin Silliker, Tim White, Mike Smith, Mark Scriver, Monica Lynns, Richard Alexander, Rick Wise, Rob Lemmon, Susan Vokey, Amanda Harrington, Melissa Hickey, Steve Noel, and David Saunders.
Planning for the fifth annual Atlantic Paddling Symposium, to be held in Nova Scotia, is now underway.
Submitted by Christopher Lockyer www.committed2thecore.com
Regional representative for Kokatat water wear, P&H Sea kayak team member, co-chair and founder of the Atlantic Paddle Symposium www.atlanticpaddlesymposium.com